Voted Motor Trade Insurance Provider
of the Year 2021, 2019 & 2017 by the public
Motor Trade Insurance Provider Of The Year!


Get a quote

Should You Tell The DVLA About Changing Address?

When you have a car there are so many forms to fill in, and can sometimes feel a little overwhelming. One common problem with new and used cars whether purchased privately, or from the motor trade, is what to do if you move home.

Many individuals do not know they need to notify the DVLA about a change of address. Below we explain why this is important, and the process for informing the DVLA about any change of address.

Why you need to tell the DVLA

It is very important that you notify the DVLA if you change address, as this will update all relevant driving records and documentation, such as your V5C (car log book), your driving licence, and car tax, therefore keeping everything up to date.

DVLA logoIt doesn’t matter how permanent the address is, so even if you are only moving home for a small amount of time, such as going to University, you still need to notify the DVLA so that all records can be updated.

At the same time as notifying the DVLA about this change, it is also important that you do the same for your insurance policy.

What is important to note is that you will not have to pay when notifying the DVLA about your change of address, however, failure to do so could result in a £1,000 fine!

What you need to do

Notifying the DVLA is incredibly easy, you can make changes to your address online by completing a form on the DVLA website.

There is no cost for using this service, and you are also safe and legal to drive during the process of changing your address.

Once you have completed the online form, you will receive an email from the DVLA confirming they have received your information. Your new driving license should then arrive in around one week’s time.

Get a quote on your Motor Trade Insurance


Motor trade insurance

If you are looking for a quote on a motor trade insurance policy, you could save up to 67.5% with Unicom. Click here to get a quote that could save you £££’s

It is important the car log is also book is kept up to date so that any reminders or refunds are sent to the correct address.

You simply fill out section 6 of the log book (VC5) with your new address. Then you need to send this to the DVLA in Swansea, SA99 1BA.

It may take six weeks to receive your new log book, but once again, it is safe and legal to continue driving.

You are required by UK law to tax your car, have a relevant insurance policy in place, and keep the DVLA informed about any changes in your personal circumstances, including your current address.

Failure to do any of these could result in a hefty fine!